- November 29, 2012: Rob Kaplan and Tom Voekler Interviewed by Phillip van Doorn from TheStreet.com: Next SEC Chairman Can Prime IPO Pump, by Philip van Doorn
- August 6, 2012: Financial Advisor Magazine: Old Regulation – New Opportunity: What advisors should know about the JOBS Act’s revision to Regulation A, by Rob Kaplan, Jr.
- August 2, 2012: Five Things Every Entrepreneur Must Know about the JOBS Act, by Rob Kaplan, Jr. and Tom Voekler
- Rob Kaplan, Jr. interviewed by Kevin Price, The Price of Business (http://priceofbusiness.com), aired on 1070 AM in Houston, TX. Listen here.
- Press Release: Governor Bob McDonnell Announces Appointment of Robert R. Kaplan, Jr. to the Board of Housing and Community Development, of the Virginia Department of House and Community Development (DHCD). Read more.
- Washington Post:
Beyond crowdfunding: Why Regulation A reform is the most vital piece of the JOBS Act
by Rob Kaplan and Tom Voekler
Since its enactment, most of the discussion of the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act (JOBS Act) has centered on crowdfunding and the IPO onramp provisions of the Act. However, the legislation’s expansion of Regulation A actually promises to have the greatest impact on small and mid-sized business capital formation. Read more.
- Regulation A: Old Reg, New Opportunity
For the last 30 years, Regulation D has dominated the exempt securities offerings landscape. This dominance was only enhanced with the passage of the National Securities Markets Improvement Act of 1996 (NSMIA) which exempted from state securities regulation (or “Blue Sky”) securities sold in offerings made pursuant to Rule 506 of Regula-tion D. In the aftermath of the recent economic and financial crisis two leading factors have emerged to hobble the usage of Rule 506 for most issuers in the raising of capital: (i) the lack of li-quidity of Rule 506 securities, and (ii) changes to the definition of “accredited investor” in the Dodd Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protec-tion Act (“Dodd-Frank”) signed into law by Presi-dent Obama in July 2010. Read more »
President Obama Signs Jobs Act
Landmark Legislation Changes the Landscape of Raising Capital
On April 5, 2012 President Obama signed the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act (JOBS Act) into law. Passed by a 73-to-26 vote in the U.S. Senate and a 380-to-41 vote in the U.S. House of Representatives, the JOBS Act is a bipartisan col-lection of legislative measures that have been in-troduced over the past year and change dramati-cally the regulatory scheme for raising capital in the U.S. Read more »
On Tuesday, February 8, 2011, Chris Hoctor and Troy Savenko of Gregory Kaplan, PLC were guest panelists/speakers at a CLE held by The Real Estate Section of The Bar Association of the City of Richmond entitled: “The Perfect Storm: When Divorce, Bankruptcy and Real Estate Collide.” Mr. Hoctor presented a discussion on the impact of section 365 of the Bankruptcy Code (Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases) on commercial real estate. Mr. Savenko presented a discussion on single-asset real estate bankruptcies.
- Alyssa A. Haun and Burke S. Lewis have been elected as Partner at Kaplan & Frank, PLC.